Self-love...the trending #hashtag of many IG pages! But if you can't buy it, or will it into being by reading every inspirational quote you can find, or gain it by starting a new relationship, just how can you grow self-love?
We can all at times be guilty of unfair self- criticism, feeling insecure and inadequate or vulnerable and alone. And living life striving for a perfection that doesn't exist will do very little to help grow our feelings of self-love.
Realising we are not the only one that feels like this is the first step on the road to creating a better relationship with ourselves. And by taking actions that encourage physical, psychological and spiritual growth, we can begin the journey of accepting ourselves in all our flawsome glory! (adj - to embrace your flaws and know you're awesome regardless)
Here are our top five ways to grow self-love this Valentines....
1. Set Clear Boundaries. Through setting limits for when to say No to work, love and life events that you know affect you emotionally, or physically, or are not in line with your core values, you will begin to feel a greater self-worth.
2. Be Forgiving of yourself. We are often our own worst enemies when it comes to self-love. Accept your unique humanness, forgive mistakes and remember that there are no failures, only lessons that we can learn from and grow from.
3. Focus on MEtime. Always ensure that you take good care of your basic needs. Nourish yourself daily through healthy foods, energise yourself through being active daily, make time for fun, and re-charge with plenty of sleep and relaxation.
4. Choose your friends carefully. We all know what it's like to have those friends that seem to delight in extinguishing your flame of happiness the moment life starts to feel good. Don't be afraid to walk away and reserve your time to be with those friends that genuinely light you up. Not only will it really ignite your self-love and respect.
5. Practice gratitude for you and your body. Energy flows where attention goes... Focus on all the positive attributes you have and all the amazing things you and your body can do. The more you focus on these, the more positive feelings you will uncover about yourself. Self-love comes from the heart not from what you see in the mirror so don't invest your self worth on your appearance.