And breathe.....find out the best way to spend just 15 minutes a day to create a balanced body and calm mind this Advent. And you might even find yourself slipping into that dress a little more easily too....
Never mind 'Tis the Season to be Jolly!' Most of us find the festive season to be the busiest and one of the most stressful times of the year. High levels of the stress hormone, cortisol, can contribute to anxiety, high blood pressure and weight gain. So remember to take time out for yourself over the coming weeks. Just 15 minutes a day of mindful meditation whilst breathing deeply can help to release oxytocin and slow down or turn off cortisol production and help you feel in control when things start to overwhelm you.
Why not burn a scented candle during your meditation and let the calming scent of aromatherapy oils ease your body and mind too. Our favourite is Perfect Peace by NEOM Organics, fragranced with myrrh, pine and lime.
Our top tips to mindful meditation for 15 minutes daily...
1. Set a timer for between 5 and 15 minutes depending on how long you have. Sit comfortably with your legs crossed or on a chair. Sit up tall and breathe through your nose
2. Concentrate on breathing through the abdomen not the chest. Hold that breathe for one or two seconds.
3. Exhale through your mouth until all your breath is completely released.
4. Wait one or two seconds and repeat steps
5. If thoughts come into your mind, acknowledge them and release them pushing them away with your breathe
Not only will you feel more relaxed and calmer you will likely find you're super productive for the rest of the day too! Even better for getting that Christmas to do list sorted!